Archive search by date
Guinea Fowl with autumn fruit
We have a lot of fruit in the orchard and it's been a bumper year for figs.
- melt some butter in a small pan and skim off the white impurities that come to the surface, these are the bits that can burn. The result is "clarified butter" but you can also use Ghee from India, which is the same thing.
- Mix the melted clarified butter with some honey and baste a guinea fowl all over. Season well. Place is a roasting pan. You can also use a small chicken.
- Cook in the oven at 180°. For a guinea fowl the total cooking time will be about 45 minutes, you will need longer for a chicken.
- 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the following mixture to the pan:
- peeled and chopped pears
- peeled and chopped apples
- roughly chopped walnuts
- quartered fresh figs
- some raisons and sultanas
- the bird should be golden brown when ready, with delicious crispy skin. You can serve as is, or carve the meat and serve with the fruit and couscous (photo right)
posted on: 30/10/2014 at 12:00 in category: [/cooking] with permanent link
Leave a Comment