Archive search by date
Bread and Butter Pudding
An old favorite, my mother used to make this. It's a sort of merger between French toast and clafouti.
- Butter some slices of bread and cut into triangles. In the photo I used Italian Panettone cake which gives this dish a lot of flavour. If you are using plain bread, you should also spread some jam or marmalade onto the bread.
- Lay the triangles in a baking dish
- Sprinkle with raisons, sultanas and cinnamon
- Heat 350ml of milk and 50ml of cream to boiling point (just scald, don't boil), you may need to increase these proportionally for a larger dish
- Whisk two eggs with three tablespoons of brown sugar
- Slowly pour in the hot milk stirring all the time
- Pour the custard mixture over the bread and allow to rest for a while so that the bread soaks up some of the liquid.
- Sprinkle with ground nutmeg and demerara sugar
- Bake in a moderate oven for 40 minutes until the custard is cooked and brown on top.
posted on: 16/04/2013 at 07:32 in category: [/cooking] with permanent link
Leave a Comment