Archive search by date
This is a classic French dish which I have been making for a long time. I used to do it in the pressure cooker but I find that slow cooking in the oven works best.
- It is best to marinate some chunks of stewing beef in red wine overnight in the fridge but this is not essential.
- Fry some onions and stewing beef. If you have marinated the beef, pat it dry with some kitchen roll first (keep the marinade).
- Add some nutmeg, cinnamon, and chopped garlic. Add some flour and briefly stir so as to coat the meat.
- Add some red wine and some stock to almost cover the meat. If you have marinated the beef, use the marinade.
- Add some sliced carrots, two or three squares of dark chocolate, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil.
- Place in an oven proof casserole dish and cook in a medium oven (160°) for about two hours (or more) until the meat is very tender.
- About 10 minutes before the end of cooking I add some sliced cherry tomatoes as decoration, you can also add sliced mushrooms.
In the photo I serve the beef with garlic/mustard mashed potato and beans. Traditionally it is served with steamed new potatoes.
posted on: 22/02/2013 at 17:22 in category: [/cooking] with permanent link
Leave a Comment