Archive search by date
This is a fantastic vegetarian dish with a Middle-Eastern flavour.
- If using dried green lentils wash them and put them to soak for a while (see instructions on packet) and cook in boiling water until tender, put aside to cool. If using ready prepared lentils out of a tin, this is not necessary.
- Chop a sweet potato into bite sized chunks and boil for 5 minutes until just tender.
- Fry some chopped mushrooms in a little oil or butter until they have released their water and it has evaporated. Pour in some dark beer and reduce until nearly all the liquid has gone.
- Mix together the sweet potato, lentils and cooled mushrooms in a large bowl. Add breadcrumbs, an egg, some mustard, some grated cheese, some pistachio nuts and plenty of seasoning.
- Spread melted butter on several sheets of filo pastry or "brick" leaves and place buttered side down in an deep oven proof dish.
- Place the lentil and mushroom mixture.
- Fold the overlapping filo pastry sheets over the mixture and place another sheet on top to close the "pastilla".
- Spread more melted butter on the top and cook in a hot oven (190°) for 35 minutes until golden.
posted on: 17/11/2011 at 17:31 in category: [/cooking] with permanent link
Leave a Comment