Archive search by date
Caramelised Veal Knuckle
This is a good one for Sunday lunch, it does need a lot of cooking but it's well worth the wait.
- Using a deep oven proof dish, brown a whole veal knuckle on all sides in a little olive oil
- Add 50cl (about 3/4 pint) of stock and one slice of orange zest (make sure you use an untreated orange).
- Cover and cook in a cool oven at 150°C for two hours, turning the meat regularly.
- Squeeze out the orange juice and mix it together with a glass of white wine and three large spoons of honey.
- Pour the honey liquid over the meat and add some chopped carrots and spring onions (trimmed but whole, leaving a little of the green stalk).
- Season with plenty of salt and pepper and add some cumin seeds.
- Cook in the oven at 150°C for another 90 minutes basting the meat with the cooking liquid frequently.
- Place the cooked vegetables in a serving dish and carve the veal meat off the knuckle bone and place on top of the carrots.
- Reduce the cooking liquid over a hot stove and add a little cream or butter to thicken the sauce before pouring it over the meat and vegetables.
posted on: 08/11/2011 at 12:23 in category: [/cooking] with permanent link
Leave a Comment