Archive search by date
I’ve been cooking brussel sprouts like this for years and I was shocked to see Jamie Oliver cooking them in a similar way, as shown on his recent Christmas Special on British television. I wonder now where this recipe actually came from.
To be fair to Jamie, our recipes do differ slightly - he adds an enormous amount of Worcestershire sauce at the end, where I added Chili and Mango hot sauce from Saint Vincent and the Grenadines (or cream for a milder dish - see 3rd November 2011 post). Otherwise the recipes are identical and it is an ideal way to cook sprouts without going to the bother of trimming them and making a cross in the stem so they cook through properly when boiled or steamed in the traditional way.
- Clean the sprouts and take off the dirty outer leaves
- Shred in a kitchen robot machine or slice very finely
- Fry some chopped smoky bacon in a little olive oil and butter until crispy
- Add chopped sprouts and a little water and cover for 5 minutes
- Add some hot sauce (or in Jamie’s version a lot of Worcestershire sauce and some chopped herbs, especially sage if available). No need for salt as the seasoning comes from the bacon.
posted at: 18:33 |[/cooking] permanent link